January 30, 2019 |
LOS ANGELES – Whoever said, “it’s the most wonderful time of the year” clearly never experienced shopping on Black Friday, or traveling many miles to see that part of the family you almost want to avoid. And no one ever thinks about what they’d do if they’re injured in an accident, and need a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer.
In reality, the holiday season can be a hectic time for everyone. The kids are off from school, families all over the country are traveling, the stores are packed, and accidents are bound to happen. Some of our best personal injury lawyers in Los Angeles have assembled a list of the most common holiday injuries, and what to do if you find yourself in these yuletide predicaments.
Injured While Traveling
Traveling for the holidays has become a tradition for millions of American families. Unfortunately, car accidents (and other travel accidents) can lurk around every corner. Here are some of the most common types of accidents that happen while traveling for the holidays:
- Car Accidents – These are some of the most common accidents on sunny days. Add rain, snow and ice to the mix and driving can be a risky endeavor. What’s worse is that more people are on the roads during the holiday season. So, even if you’re a safe driver, not everyone else is.
- Airplane Injuries – We’ve all heard about how rare airplane crashes are. However, airplane injuries are much more common. Anything from falling luggage to getting struck or pinched by a beverage cart, travelers get injured on airplanes every day.
- Airport Injuries – When the planes are packed, so are the airports. And when these places get crowded, traveling can get messy. From spills that create slipping hazards to more incidents involving luggage, injuries are actually quite common in airports during the holiday season.
- Train Accidents – Even when you avoid the airfare and the traffic, you’re never truly safe. Trains are known for derailments, which happen regularly. Fortunately, most of these mishaps don’t result in serious injuries. But as with planes, accidents can happen inside the cabin – and they’ve been known to cause serious injuries.
Injured In A Store
Every year, news agencies report on accidents, injuries and even deaths that happen in stores after Thanksgiving. Yes, Black Friday is a dangerous day to be shopping, but some of us can’t help it!
While millions of shoppers are rushing around to take advantage of some of “the hottest deals of the year,” they can often be neglectful. Here are some of the most common shopping-related injuries that happen during the holidays:
- Slips – From wet floors to uncleared ice and slush, slipping hazards are plentiful this holiday season. These are common accidents which often end with serious and costly injuries.
- Trips – Store owners love decorating to provide shoppers with a pleasant experience in their shops. Unfortunately, loose wires, toys, old carpeting, escalators, and many other things found in stores can create tripping hazards. You might make it on America’s Funniest Videos if you trip and fall, but we promise you – you won’t be laughing if you’re seriously hurt.
- Falling Items – Stores love to stock their shelves with “stuff” over the holidays. Some shelves are over 15 feet high, filled with toys, tools, and other worthy gifts that can be dangerous if they fall off the shelf.
- Assault – What do you think of when you hear the words “Black Friday?” If you think of angry, violent shoppers, you’re not alone. Every year, tempers flare on some of the busiest shopping days, and while it’s best not to get involved, sometimes trouble finds you.
Injured At Home
The most common place to suffer a serious injury during the holidays is actually where you spend the most time: at home (or at the house of your relative that you typically try to avoid).
- Falls – You could be perched on top of a wobbly chair trying to put-up decorations, or walking down a dark staircase to retrieve your precious decorations. Our best Los Angeles personal injury lawyers have heard it all. These are common accidents over the holidays, sending thousands of people to emergency rooms every winter.
- Electrocution – It might be time to get new Christmas lights! Whether you’re doing your best impression of Clark Griswold, or playing with that new electronic gift, electrocutions are not uncommon over the holiday break.
- Fire Hazards – Do you smell chestnuts roasting by an open… FIRE! From fireplace accidents to cooking mishaps, fires devastate families each year over the holidays. If you do encounter a fire, put your health and safety first – leave immediately and call the fire department.
- Defective Toys & Gifts – “You’ll shoot your eye out, kid.” And then it happened. Defective and dangerous toys are a top reason for pediatric emergencies in November and December. Supervise your children, and make sure the toys they receive from Santa are considered safe by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
What To Do If You’re Injured Over The Holidays
In some cases, there’s not much you can do but get medical attention, follow your doctor’s orders, and watch “A Christmas Carol” for the fifth time in a row. However, you may be entitled to compensation in some cases. In order to qualify for injury compensation, you must meet two main requirements:
- You Were Involved In An Accident.
- You’re Injured.
If you meet these two requirements, you may have a case! According to our best personal injury lawyers, LA is a hotbed for accidents. From slips, trips and falls to car accidents, airplane injuries, falling items, defective toys, and more, it just takes one accident to send you to the hospital. When you choose to file a personal injury claim, an experienced attorney can help you get compensation for costs like:
- Medical Bills
- Lost Time At Work
- Transportation Costs
- Pain & Suffering
- And More…
If you’ve been injured in any type of accident, it’s important that you first get immediate medical attention. Then, contact the best personal injury lawyer in Los Angeles that you can find. If you choose to call The Barnes Firm, we can fully investigate your claim on your behalf to help you get the best result possible.
Call us anytime (even holidays and weekends) or contact us online for a FREE consultation.
The Barnes Firm (800) 800-0000