August 11, 2020 |
Car Accident Attorneys
Car accidents happen every day. If you’ve never been involved in a car crash, you may find yourself wondering what to do when it happens. Today, the expert attorneys at The Barnes Firm share what you should do after a car accident.
The first priority after any accident is seeing that anyone who is injured gets the medical attention they need. Even what seems like a minor accident can cause pain and stress, making the health and wellness of those involved the most important consideration. It’s important you always contact an experienced car accident lawyer after you receive medical attention so you can get the compensation you deserve!
The Process Immediately After a Car Accident
When you have been involved in a car accident, this is the process you should follow:
- Determine if anyone involved suffered injuries. If so, call first responders and get medical attention on the scene quickly. If you are unsure, call first responders to come to the scene and make the determination.
- Look for signs of fire, smoke, sparks, the scent of gasoline. If found, move everyone safely away from the vehicles.
- Call the police. This will protect everyone involved. The officer who arrives will prepare a police report, recording all evidence from the scene (injuries, damages, tire marks, and other details) and the statements of those involved. You can use the police report for insurance claims and if someone later changes their story. Do not negotiate about calling the police or filing insurance claims.
- If the accident is minor, no one is injured, and you can do so safely, move the vehicles from the road to a safe location.
- Try to remain calm. Don’t blame the other driver or admit fault. Exchange contact and insurance information with each other simply by taking photos with your mobile phone of driver’s licenses and insurance cards.
- Get contact information for any witnesses on the scene.
- Take your own pictures of the scene, including damages to all vehicles and property, and any details you feel demonstrate you were not at fault.
- Don’t leave the scene – ever! Wait for the police.
Next Step After Your Accident
- Contact an experienced car accident lawyer! You don’t want to call your insurance company to report the accident because they won’t fight for the compensation you deserve! The Barnes Firm can advise you of the next steps in the event you are owed compensation.
Call on The Barnes Firm After Your Car Accident
Following any car accident, the expert team at The Barnes Firm is ready to help. At The Barnes Firm, you will find the best car accident lawyers who put your needs first and strive to get you the compensation you deserve following an accident.
Call today for your FREE case evaluation with one of our California car accident lawyers at The Barnes Firm: (800) 800-0000.