November 20, 2019 |
Car Accident Attorneys
, The Barnes Firm
Tis the season for holiday shopping and with it comes stores packed with shoppers, parking lots overflowing with cars, and streets awash with distracted drivers. As shoppers, like you, head to the stores to find the perfect gift, criminals are reading themselves to take what they can get from preoccupied shoppers. Often victims of crime, are busy and distracted, so here are some tips to keep you safe while enjoying your holiday shopping this year.
Safety Tips for Shopping During the Holidays:
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Whether in the store or outside in the parking lot, always be aware.
- Stay alert and limit distractions. Cellphones can easily distract you and make you an easy mark for thieves.
- When in doubt, don’t be afraid to ask for store or mall security to escort you to your vehicle.
- Always park in areas which are well lit.
- Park close to your destination, and note the area in which parked.
- Have your keys in hand before leaving the store.
- Consider leaving your purse or wallet at home, and bringing only your cellphone, driver’s license or ID, and credit cards. Carrying these items in your front pocket will keep them secure.
- Protect your pin when using your debit card.
- Don’t shop alone, especially after dark. Shop during the day if you can.
- Keep new purchases and valuables in your vehicle out of sight.
- If you take packages to your car, and plan to go back in and shop some more, move your vehicle to a new parking space before you re-enter.
- Beware of strangers who approach you, whatever the reason. Many “con-artists” work in pairs or teams to distract you in order to take you belongings.
- Whether you are inside your car or out of it, keep your doors locked and your windows closed. Always set your car alarm when you lock and leave your car.
- Don’t park beside vans, truck with camper shells, or cars with heavily tinted windows.
- Don’t leave your car running.
- Never leave your children inside your car.
- Don’t allow your children to go to the restroom unaccompanied.
- Teach your children to ask for help from a store employee, security, or police officer, if separated from you. They should know their full name, address, and your phone number.
- Don’t approach your car if there are suspicious people around.
- Call your credit card issuer right away if your card is stolen, lost, or misused. (keep a record of your credit cards and issuer’s contact numbers at home, in a safe place.)
- If someone approaches and demands your belongings, give them to the culprit, noting their appearance and the direction in which they flee. Call 911 immediately.
- Always abide by “if you see something, say something.” Should you witness a criminal act in progress or simply just see someone or something suspicious, call 911, or notify a police officer or security.
- When shopping online, always track your packages and if possible ship to your work. If you won’t be home when your packages arrive, ask a neighbor to retrieve them until you arrive.
Safety Tips For Using the ATM During the Holidays:
- Use only ATMs (Automated Teller Machine) at your bank or in the mall, in a well-lighted location.
- Protect your PIN from those around you.
- Be aware of your surroundings and alert at all times.
What Are the Popular Malls in Los Angeles?
One of L.A.’s most popular outdoor shopping malls! During the holidays, the mall ensures all shoppers are in the holiday spirit by setting up a 110 ft. well-lit tree, live performances, and more!
All about Hollywood’s true fashion! With a large holiday tree and famous Hollywood Signs, you’ll be ready to shop for all your holiday gifts!
With eight stories and more than 160 stores and services, the Beverly Center has all the high-end boutique and other retail outlets! Be prepared to shop until you drop during this holiday season! Santa will also be ready to meet you and your family for a holiday picture until December 24th.
Stay safe this holiday season by using these tips while you shop, at home or in stores. Always be alert and aware of your surroundings. The Barnes Firm car accident lawyers hope you enjoy a safe and happy holiday season with family and friends.
For more information on general Holiday Safety Tips, read all the helpful tips for shoppers, drivers, children, and more from the Los Angeles Police Department.